[birt-dev] Contributing code changes back to the BIRT project

Hi,

I am working on an extension to an existing BIRT reporting system. This is a standalone system based on the BIRT runtime engine. The reporting is triggered from within an existing client application or from the command line. BIRT is not deployed to a J2EE web server and nor does the client wish to introduce a web server into their architecture.

Now the client would like extensions to this system that will enable the following:

  1. preview the report
  2. in the preview make alterations to data in fields, tables and possibly (but this is not a hard requirement) in charts/graphs
  3. save the data back to the server (but not commit to the database yet) and refresh the report
  4. commit back to the database or abandon the changes

While I am exploring ways to avoid making changes to the BIRT code base, I have a doubt that we will be able to achieve our requirements without doing so. In any case it is certainly going to be easier to achieve by alteration of BIRT code.

We think that the work we are doing could be useful for other BIRT users and my client (Bredex who is also a Foundation member) would like to contribute these enhancements back to the Foundation. Do you think that the BIRT project would be interested in discussing this? If so who would be the best person to open a dialogue with?

All the best,
Joel
--
P   Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Thank you.

Joel Rosi-Schwartz                      Joel.Rosi-Schwartz@xxxxxxxxx
Etish Limited                               http://www.etish.org/
Useme                                        https://useme.dev.java.net/

Back to the top