RE: [birt-dev] How to get metadata from JPA for create theResultSetMetaData

Hi,

If by "using reflection" means to get the metadata from an actual result
set, it is ok if there is no other way to get a result set meta data
before a query is executed.   If you are trying to support providing
result set metadata immediately after prepare() is called, that means
your ODA driver has to internally execute the query and get the result
set first during prepare().  That approach is feasible, it just means
your ODA driver has to track its query execution state, and return the
result set retrieved during prepare() when a consumer application later
calls IQuery.executeQuery.

BIRT data engine normally tries to get a query's result set metadata
before calling IQuery.executeQuery, but it is able to handle the case
where none is available until after executeQuery is called.  So it is
optional for an ODA driver to support having result set metadata before
executeQuery is called.

Note that if your ODA driver intends to support parameters, it probably
won't be able to use reflection to get the metadata.  An alternative to
consider is whether it makes sense to collect such metadata (of result
set and/or parameters) during design time instead.  If so, such info can
be saved as private properties of a data set query by the custom ODA
designer.  And the data set private properties will then get passed by
BIRT to your ODA runtime driver to use by the call to
IQuery.setProperty(String, String).

BTW, such question is best discussed in BIRT newsgroup.  Please post any
follow-up questions there.

Linda