[birt-dev] Birt ODA Extension problem

Hallo,

since quite a few weeks i am developing an ODA Extension for the Eclipse-Plugin Birt to connect to a database called Tamino from the company Software AG by handling and presenting response data from xqueries. Because of this being my first time to develop a project in that dimension, it cost me quite an effort to realize it, but i think, things are working well after solving some exceptions concerning the problem of creating plug ins and their dependencies in eclipse. Until now:

I open a new Birt Project in my eclipse environment and choose as new data source the database "Tamino" as i was implementing this. Than i create my new Data set by inserting the xquery, choosing the XPath _expression_ and defining the tables, i want to use for my report. After defining the tables i also can see the small preview of the data out of the database. But when I want to see the whole preview, Eclipse throws me the following lines:

[CODE]05.05.2008 18:42:26 org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.ResultSet fetch
SCHWERWIEGEND: Cannot fetch the next data row.
The established connection to the data source is not active.
org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaHelperException: The established connection to the data source is not active.
    at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaObject.newOdaException(OdaObject.java:522)
    at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaResultSet.next(OdaResultSet.java:169)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.ResultSet.fetch(ResultSet.java:115)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.dscache.DataSetResultCache.cacheDataSet(DataSetResultCache.java:184)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.dscache.DataSetResultCache.fetch(DataSetResultCache.java:159)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.cache.OdiAdapter.fetch(OdiAdapter.java:146)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.cache.RowResultSet.next(RowResultSet.java:91)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.cache.ExpandableRowResultSet.next(ExpandableRowResultSet.java:62)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.cache.SmartCacheHelper.populateData(SmartCacheHelper.java:268)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.cache.SmartCacheHelper.initInstance(SmartCacheHelper.java:241)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.cache.SmartCacheHelper.getResultSetCache(SmartCacheHelper.java:204)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.cache.SmartCache.<init>(SmartCache.java:68)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.transform.pass.PassUtil.populateOdiResultSet(PassUtil.java:135)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.transform.pass.PassUtil.pass(PassUtil.java:66)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.transform.pass.PassManager.doSinglePass(PassManager.java:185)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.transform.pass.PassManager.pass(PassManager.java:90)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.transform.pass.PassManager.populateResultSet(PassManager.java:72)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.transform.ResultSetPopulator.populateResultSet(ResultSetPopulator.java:208)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.transform.CachedResultSet.<init>(CachedResultSet.java:112)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.DataSourceQuery.execute(DataSourceQuery.java:524)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.PreparedOdaDSQuery$OdaDSQueryExecutor.executeOdiQuery(PreparedOdaDSQuery.java:338)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.QueryExecutor.execute(QueryExecutor.java:761)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.ServiceForQueryResults.executeQuery(ServiceForQueryResults.java:216)
    at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.QueryResults.getResultIterator(QueryResults.java:152)
    at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.dataset.ResultSetPreviewPage.populateRecords(ResultSetPreviewPage.java:458)
    at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.dataset.ResultSetPreviewPage.access$2(ResultSetPreviewPage.java:451)
    at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.dataset.ResultSetPreviewPage$5.run(ResultSetPreviewPage.java:407)
    at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:113)
[/CODE]

Now, when I click okay anyway, my new Data set seams to be created and I can define the layout from my report as usual. Just when i want to see the preview of the now layouted report, the console gives me few lines as follows:

[CODE]05.05.2008 18:45:44 org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.data.dte.DteDataEngine doExecuteQuery
SCHWERWIEGEND: Cannot fetch the next data row.
The established connection to the data source is not active.
[/CODE]

Well, one the one side, i am quite content for having at least any failure output as things haven't always been like that. But I am sitting on this exception for 2 days now and i still don't know what to do to avoid this problem and get the things working properly. When I look for the connection establishing by debugging, things seam to be quite okay.

As i still told, i am really new to develop projects of that dimension, so i only can imagine, that i either have missed some point in my implementation or i still don't understand what i am doing here, or both!
I would be glad, if someone can help me in this problem and maybe already has seen that exception. I also do not know, if this is the right place to ask my question.
Please give me at least some hints to work on this problem.

Regards,
Jonas

Back to the top