From: birt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:birt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Matthew Kerle
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2007 5:20 PM
To: birt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [birt-dev] Cross-post: error loading JDBC drivers in BIRT

Hi all,

first of all apologies for cross posting this (previous post was on the eclipse.birt newsgroup here:
 http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/article.php?id=23492&group=eclipse.birt#23492 ), but this problem has stumped my team and we really need to get past it so we can start using birt more. the newsgroup wasn't able to provide any meaningful help, I guess maybe that wasn't the best place for this question, this might be a birt bug so I'm turning to the dev list...

Windows XPSP2
Jre 1.6.0_02
Eclipse version: 3.2.0 Europa (installed to D:\programs\eclipse\)
BIRT : 2.1.1 & 2.1.2 (v20070205-1728)
EMF 2.2.0.v200606271057
GEF 3.2.0.v20060626

Ok, the basic problem is that we can't load any JDBC drivers in the BIRT plugin. We can create & open reports fine, but when trying to run 'test connection' on any datasource at all, we get an error saying that the driver couldn't be loaded. Normally I'd assume PEBKAC, but we get the same thing on different machines in the team, even when trying the sample derby database, which I understand is part of the birt plugin itself.

The other strange thing, is that one of our team members managed to get birt working by re-installing windows from scratch, and then installing java 6 , then the the full-version of eclipse + birt. however copying this install across to another machine still resulted in the same error as before. this leads us to believe that it's some kind of environmental issue, and related to the classloader, but we have no idea what it could be...

Screenshots  #1 & #2 are the errors we get trying to load the drivers, and attached is the stack trace from trying to load the derby driver & the oracle driver.

Also attached is the output from help->about eclipse->config, from the europa install that worked on a vanilla box, then the same install copied to an existing developer machine which then produced this error.

The best we can think is that it's something to do with the classes in question becoming unreachable due to an environmental issue, but we have no idea what that might be. Re-imaging the developer boxen might get birt working, but i think you appreciate that we would prefer a fix that avoids that...;-p

thanks for any help you can offer.

matt.

#1 - this is trying to use the embedded BIRT derby driver:
http://hotimg3.fotki.com/p/a/152_91/61_209/birt_error_msg.jpg

#2 - this is trying to use Oracle 10G driver
http://hotimg5.fotki.com/p/a/152_91/61_209/birt_error_msg2.jpg

Back to the top