From: birt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:birt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of sstrickland
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 9:40 AM
To: birt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [birt-dev] RE: SECURITY ISSUE IN XML!

Linda,  This isn't a "use" issue, it's a "design" security flaw.    I
believe
it really belongs to the developers, not users.  Report design XML is
attached.

I have posted a bugzilla bug for this:  204939.

The data source definition works properly...password is encrypted.  But
subsequent definitions do not encrypt the password.

I sent you an email with the report deisgn source XML.

Note:  for security purposes, I over-typed my password with "PASSWORD"
so I could send this example to you.  It really is my production iSeries
password.

This XML is built by the UI interface; it is not manuipulated by me
(except when I overwrote the ID and Password so I could send this to
you).

Is there some code I can inject into the XML to encrypt my password?
That would hold me over until the security flaw is fixed.

Skip Strickland, Analyst
Information Access Group
Costco WHOLESALE
(425) 313-2521
sstrickland@xxxxxxxxxx

Linda Chan wrote:

> Skip,
>
> By "XML definitions", are you referring to the content in a report
> design file?  I'm not able to reproduce what you'd described.
> What's the parent element of the  <design:dataSourceDesign> that you'd
> listed?
> BTW, this mailing list is intended for development of the BIRT
> components.  Any how-to-use question is best posted in the BIRT
> newsgroup.  Please post follow up questions there, and attach a copy
> of your report design file.
>
> Regards,
> Linda
>
> ________________________________

PASSWORD</design:value>
>                     </design:nameValue>
>                   </design:properties>
>                   <design:properties>
>                     <design:nameValue>
>                       <design:name>odaJndiName</design:name>
>                     </design:nameValue>
>                   </design:properties>
>                   <design:properties>
>                     <design:nameValue>
>                       <design:name>OdaConnProfileName</design:name>
>                     </design:nameValue>
>                   </design:properties>
>                   <design:properties>
>                     <design:nameValue>

<design:name>OdaConnProfileStorePath</design:name>