[birt-dev] Eclipse BIRT PMC Meeting Minutes - Monday, April 30, 2007

Title: Eclipse BIRT PMC Meeting Minutes - Monday, April 30, 2007

Meeting

BIRT PMC, 10am Pacific, Monday, April 30, 2007

Attendees

Wenfeng Li - BIRT PMC Lead - Actuate Corporation (www.actuate.com)
Paul Clenahan - BIRT PMC - Actuate Corporation (www.actuate.com)
Scott Rosenbaum - BIRT PMC - Innovent Solutions (www.innoventsolutions.com)
Jason Weathersby - BIRT PMC - Actuate Corporation (www.actuate.com)
Cheng-Yee Lin, standing in for Mike Fox - BIRT PMC - IBM Corporation (www.ibm.com)

Minutes

Meeting Logistics

Larry sends apologies but is not available to attend the PMC meeting today.
Cheng-Yee Lin from IBM attended on behalf of Mike.

BIRT 2.1.3 Development

iText Eclipse IP approval is getting closer. Some discussion last week and over the weekend on individual remaining issues that are being worked through. Approval looks very close.

iText IP approval continues to be the primary gating factor for the release of BIRT 2.1.3.

General Information

BIRT 2.1.3 is the third maintenance release in the BIRT 2.1 release series and is intended to be narrow in scope since the development team is concentrating on BIRT 2.2. The 2.1.3 release is focused on addressing critical bugs identified by the community.

The Development Plan for BIRT 2.1.3 is available on the Eclipse BIRT pages (http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/project/project_plan_R2_1_3.php).

For a list of bugs assigned to the release, refer to Bugzilla: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?classification=BIRT&target_milestone=2.1.3

BIRT 2.2 Development

We continue to track for the next milestone release, RC0, which is planned for May 18.

General Information

The next major release of BIRT is BIRT 2.2, scheduled for June 2007 as part of the Europa Simultaneous Release (http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Europa_Simultaneous_Release).

The Development Plan for BIRT 2.2 is available on the Eclipse BIRT pages (http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/project/project_plan_R2_2_0.php). A number of BIRT Project Specifications (BPS) relating to BIRT 2.2 have been posted on the BIRT Wiki.

For a list of bugs assigned to the release, refer to Bugzilla: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?classification=BIRT&target_milestone=2.2.0

iText Version

The latest nightly builds of BIRT 2.1.3 and 2.2 are using the latest 1.5.x iText versions. The install instructions need to be updated to reflect this and let the community know where to download this from. Jason will make the updates to the install pages unless iText gets approved and we'll just integrate iText into the builds and update the instructions accordingly.

Eclipse Webinars

Jason is looking for webinar ideas that showcase what can be done when using BIRT with other Eclipse projects. This is for a webinar series that Ian Skerrett is planning for the Europa release.

Ideas to Jason, please.

Windows Vista Support

Cheng-Yee indicated that IBM have run the BIRT I18N tests on the Vista platform. They are also working to find additional testing resources within IBM to look at BIRT on Vista. If IBM are able to test BIRT on Vista to their satisfaction, then we will add Vista to the reference platform list for BIRT 2.2 based on IBM's testing.

In the meantime, as indicated in last week's minutes, we will continue to look at any issues reported on Vista.

Web Services Data Source Project in BIRT 2.2.

Jason asked for confirmation if this project is going to be in BIRT 2.2. The answer is yes, this is assigned to RC0.

Eclipse Forum Europe

Jason presented at Eclipse Forum Europe in Wiesbaden, Germany last week. The session, on Integrating BIRT, was very popular with over 80 attendees. There was also a lot of interest in BIRT at the Actuate sponsored booth at the conference.

BIRT Events

The following upcoming events will include talks on BIRT and/or Actuate sponsored BIRT booths:

JavaOne Conference on May 8 - 11, 2007 - San Francisco, CA - http://java.sun.com/javaone/sf/ - Actuate sponsored booth on BIRT and Actuate commercial products

TDWI World Conference Spring - May 14, 2007 - Boston, MA - http://www.tdwi.org/education/conferences/boston2007 - Open Source Adoption in Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence

IBM Rational Software Development Conference on June 10-14, 2007 - Orlando, FL - http://www-306.ibm.com/software/rational/events/rsdc2007/ - Integration of BIRT into IBM Rational Products

Jazoon 07 on June 24-28, 2007 - Zurich, Switzerland - http://jazoon.com/ - The Eclipse BIRT Framework

BIRT Articles

The following articles have recently been published on BIRT:

Eclipse Magazine - April 2007 - ODA Extensions and BIRT - Part II by Scott Rosenbaum and Jason Weathersby - http://www.eclipsemag.net/

Eclipse Magazine - March 2007 - A Primer On ODA Extensions and BIRT by Scott Rosenbaum - http://www.eclipsemag.net/
Eclipse Developer's Journal - February 2007 - Developing an Application Using the Eclipse BIRT Report Engine API by Jason Weathersby; Tom Bondur; Jane Tatchell - http://eclipse.sys-con.com/read/336872.htm

Full list of articles can be found on the BIRT Project Wiki at http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Articles(BIRT)

Back to the top