[birt-dev] Eclipse BIRT PMC Meeting Minutes - Monday, January 29, 2007

Title: Eclipse BIRT PMC Meeting Minutes - Monday, January 29, 2007

Meeting

BIRT PMC, 10am Pacific, Monday, January 29, 2007

Attendees

Wenfeng Li - BIRT PMC Lead - Actuate Corporation (www.actuate.com)
Paul Clenahan - BIRT PMC - Actuate Corporation (www.actuate.com)
Jason Weathersby - BIRT PMC - Actuate Corporation (www.actuate.com)
Mike Fox - BIRT PMC - IBM Corporation (www.ibm.com)
Larry Liang - BIRT PMC - InetSoft Technology Corporation (www.inetsoft.com)

Minutes

BIRT 2.1.2 Development

This release continues to track for it's Feb 16 release. Since the last PMC meeting, 4 additional Bugzilla items were added to the 2.1.2 list, bringing the total to 59.

General Information

BIRT 2.1.2 is the second maintenance release in the BIRT 2.1 release series and is intended to be narrow in scope since the development team is concentrating on BIRT 2.2. BIRT 2.1.2 is part of the Callisto coordinated maintenance release plan (see http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Callisto_Coordinated_Maintenance). The 2.1.2 release is focused on addressing critical bugs identified by the community, including any critical issues raised by other Callisto projects.

The Development Plan for BIRT 2.1.2 is available on the Eclipse BIRT pages (http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/project/project_plan_R2_1_2.php).

For a list of bugs assigned to the release, refer to Bugzilla: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?classification=BIRT&target_milestone=2.1.2

BIRT 2.2 Development

Development is proceeding for BIRT 2.2 Milestone 5, targeted for Feb 23.

Also, the development plan has been updated to indicate that the BIRT team intend to test both Java 1.4 and Java 1.5 runtime environments.

General Information

The next major release of BIRT is BIRT 2.2, scheduled for June 2007 as part of the Europa Simultaneous Release (http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Europa_Simultaneous_Release).

The draft BIRT 2.2 Development Plan has been published: http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/project/project_plan_R2_2_0.php. As previously indicated, not all projects in BIRT 2.2 are committed/staffed yet. While we are still in the process of research to determine project scope and feasibility for the release, we have identified one project that we do not have the resources to address: the XML Output Emitter. We would welcome any proposals from the broader community for assistance in developing this project.

A number of BIRT Project Specifications (BPS) relating to BIRT 2.2 have been posted on the BIRT Wiki.

BIRT 2.2 Development: XML Output Emitter

Mike Fox did some outreach to see if he could find developers interested in working on the XML Output Emitter project for BIRT 2.2. He did not get any proposals.

This project continues to be in the "Help Wanted" category for BIRT 2.2 and if we do not get any proposals in the next week, we will remove this from the BIRT 2.2 Development Plan since there are currently no developers available to work on this.

Eclipse Council Meetings

Wenfeng and Paul attended the Eclipse Council meetings last week. There were no specific action items for the BIRT PMC. The council minutes will be posted by the EMO.

Documenting the Build Process on the BIRT Wiki

There has been some good discussion last week on the birt-dev mailing list on documenting how to build BIRT (particularly from HEAD). Jason is going to create an area on the BIRT Wiki where we can capture this information, and it can easily be edited/commented on by the BIRT Community.

Expanding Content on the BIRT Wiki

Jason is planning on moving more content to the Wiki to enable the BIRT Community to more easily add and update content that will help everyone's usage of BIRT. He is planning on creating a new structure, with prototype content, that will foster the addition of more content. The plan is to start with Examples and go from there.

BIRT Events

The following upcoming events will include talks on BIRT and/or Actuate sponsored BIRT booths:

Free Eclipse Webinar: Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (BIRT) on February 7, 2007 at 8am Pacific - http://www.eclipse.org/community/webinars2006.php

EclipseCon 2007 on March 5-8, 2007 - Santa Clara, CA - http://www.eclipsecon.org/2007/ - 5 long (1 hour) sessions, 6 short (10 mins) sessions, 1 demo/panel, 2 demos, 1 long (3hrs) tutorials, and 3 short (2hr) tutorials allocated to BIRT.

BIRT Articles

The following articles have recently been published on BIRT:

Eclipse Magazine - January 2007 - Deploying the BIRT Viewer to JBoss by Jason Weathersby - http://www.eclipsemag.net/
Eclipse Magazine - December 2006 -  POJO Access Using BIRT by David Trainor and Jason Weathersby - http://www.eclipsemag.net/

Java Developers Journal - October 2006 - Java Feature: Developing an Eclipse BIRT Report Item Extension by Jason Weathersby; Iana Chatalbasheva; Tom Bondur - http://java.sys-con.com/read/286915.htm

Eclipse Magazine - September 2006 - BIRT Reporting Interactivity by David Trainor and Jason Weathersby - http://www.eclipsemag.net/