[birt-dev] Eclipse BIRT PMC Meeting Minutes - Monday, April 3, 2006

Title: Eclipse BIRT PMC Meeting Minutes - Monday, April 3, 2006

Meeting

BIRT PMC, 10am Pacific, Monday, April 3, 2006

Attendees

Wenfeng Li - BIRT PMC Lead - Actuate Corporation (www.actuate.com)
Paul Clenahan - BIRT PMC - Actuate Corporation (www.actuate.com)
Scott Rosenbaum - BIRT PMC - Innovent Solutions (www.innoventsolutions.com)
Jason Weathersby - BIRT PMC - Actuate Corporation (www.actuate.com)
Mike Fox - BIRT PMC - IBM Corporation (www.ibm.com)

Minutes

BIRT 2.1 Development Plan

The updated BIRT 2.1 Development Plan was posted for the community last Friday. This highlights the key features in the release and is more detailed than the previously published plan. The updated plan can be found at: http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/project/Project_plan_R2_1.php.

As before, all features and bugs scheduled for BIRT 2.1 continue to be tracked in Bugzilla.

New Committers

The following new committers have been proposed and recommended to the BIRT PMC by the BIRT project teams. Following the process laid out in the BIRT project charter, the development team has asked for a vote from the existing committers on each of these nominations and have received at least 3 positive votes and no negative votes. In each case, these individuals have already been active in the BIRT project community. The nominations are:

QingWei Song (Actuate)
Yu Chen (Actuate)
Wei Zhao (Actuate)
Jian Mei (Actuate)

The PMC unanimously approves these new Committers for the project. Welcome on board!

In addition, the BIRT PMC is tracking the discussion at the Eclipse Foundation level regarding the process for new committers and will follow any process updates that result from this discussion.

Company Logos on BIRTWorld Blog and Eclipse.org BIRT Pages

Unlike some of the other project pages (e.g. TPTP), the BIRT pages do not currently include logos for the companies that are contributing to the project. Since Actuate and Innovent are contributing to the BIRTWorld Blog, we will add those company logos to that site. We would also like to add the logos to the Eclipse BIRT pages, but will only do that if all the contributor company logos are there. Actuate and Innovent are OK having their logos displayed. Mike is going to get approval from the IBM side.

Nightly Build Status Reporting

The BIRT build download page currently includes a checkmark beside each build to indicate that the files have been uploaded to the site and are available for download. The checkmark does not reflect the quality of the build itself, which is confusing. To get the status of the build, you need to look at the build status email that goes out to the birt-dev mailing list for every build -- this email includes a statement of test passes etc. It would be more convenient for the community if it was easy to see the quality of the build from the download page.

Jason is going to work with the development team to improve the download page to include information on the quality of the build itself.

Expanding the BIRT Contributor Community

The BIRT PMC continues to look for additional contributors to the community. We are starting to see some interest from other companies and the PMC is actively following up with a couple of groups to gauge the level of interest.

Eclipse BIRT Books

Two BIRT books were available in advanced copy form at EclipseCon and are now available for pre-order at Amazon. These are part of the Addison-Wesley Eclipse series. Pre-order now from your favorite bookseller or at Amazon:

"BIRT : A Field Guide to Reporting" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321442598/sr=8-1/qid=1144104592/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-6308280-7385711?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

"Integrating and Extending BIRT" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321443853/qid=1144104660/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/102-6308280-7385711?s=books&v=glance&n=283155)

General availability is targeted for June.

Post BIRT 2.1 Planning

PMC had an Initial discussion on post BIRT 2.1 release dates. We recognized that we would definitely have two releases:

BIRT 2.1.1 Maintenance release

  • Timed to coincide with the first Eclipse Platform 3.2 maintenance release (so, sometime within a few months of BIRT 2.1 release)
  • We would address bugs in Bugzilla that are reported by the community against BIRT 2.1

BIRT 2.x/3.0 Major Release

  • Timed to coincide with the next Eclipse Platform release (assumption is June 2007)
  • Exact release designation (2.x or 3.0) TBD, but this would be a significant feature release

It is possible we would also introduce an intermediate feature release, depending on community feedback, demand for new features, and development resources. This is an item for consideration right now, with no definite plans either way.

Back to the top