Re: [birt-dev] Java Event Handlers

Don,

I am not sure which documentation you are referring to.  I am looking at BIRT 2.0 on-line help and it does not mention the adapter classes, it only references implementation of the interface.  Perhaps you are referencing the BIRT book?

Also, I agree with your assessment of the advantages of using the interface directly, but the direction the PMC voted on was to opt for removing upgrade issues and recommending the use of the adapters.

Scott

Don French wrote:
There are also some advantages to implementing an interface rather than
extending an adapter class.  When you implement an interface, Eclipse
generates the stubs for you, allowing you to see not only all the
methods in the interface, but also the arguments to the methods you are
about to implement.  When you extend an adapter class, you have to refer
to the Javadoc or other documentation to find the method signatures.
Also, if you implement the interface and the interface changes, the
compile errors let you know what you need to change.  Whereas if you
extend the adapter class and the interface has changed, you will not get
compile errors, but neither will you have functioning event handlers,
and the report will run but without the desired results and the reason
may not be so apparent.  The documentation mentions both techniques and
explains the advantages and disadvantages of both.  Is there some reason
that we need to go further than that?

Don French
Developer Communications