RE: [birt-dev] Re: Question about extending the UI designer

Hi Ady,

Please refer to the BIRT help in Eclipse, there is a section about the Chart extension point. I also uploaded the existing spec for 1.0.1 on the wiki at http://www.eclipse.org/birt/wiki/index.php?n=BPS.BPS39 that provide details about the Engine extension points. I attached a copy of the section you are interested in.

David

--

‘datasetprocessors’ Extension Point

The ‘datasetprocessors’ Extension Point is provided for creators of custom series types to handle data population of their series instances. Their implementation will be called at runtime to populate the DataSet in the series using data obtained by evaluating the DataDefinitions associated with the design-time series.

The Extension writer needs to provide the following information:

‘series’ – The series class (in the model) for which this extension provides data population services

‘processor’ – The data processor class which implements org.eclipse.birt.chart.engine.datafeed.IDataSetProcessor and populates the data for the series

// Methods in org.eclipse.birt.chart.engine.datafeed.IDataSetProcessor

DataSet fromString (String sDataSetRepresentation, DataSet ds) throws DataSetException;

String getExpectedStringFormat ();

DataSet populate (Object oResultSetDef, DataSet ds) throws DataSetException;

Object getMinimum (DataSet ds) throws DataSetException;

Object getMaximum (DataSet ds) throws DataSetException;

Locale getLocale ();

Table 4: Interface methods for org.eclipse.birt.chart.engine.datafeed.IDataSetProcessor

The DataSetProcessor is used by both the ChartBuilder UI and the Chart Engine. Both access the implementations using the interface methods:

The ‘fromString ()’ method is called by the ChartBuilder UI to populate the chart model with sample data from the sample data entered by the user. This enables the chart to be correctly displayed in the Preview Window giving the user an idea of what the final chart will look like. The IDataSetProcessor is required to provide information if it expects the string containing the sample data representation to be in a particular format. It should provide this information when the UI calls the ‘getExpectedStringFormat ()’ method. This is called when the user visits the Sample Data page and is shown to the user to ensure that the sample data is entered correctly.