[birt-dev] Eclipse BIRT PMC Meeting Minutes - Monday, August 1st

Title: Eclipse BIRT PMC Meeting Minutes - Monday, August 1st

Meeting
BIRT PMC, 2pm Pacific, Monday, August 1st
Attendees
Wenfeng Li - BIRT PMC Lead - Actuate Corporation (www.actuate.com)
Paul Clenahan - BIRT PMC - Actuate Corporation (www.actuate.com)
Mark Coggins - BIRT PMC - Actuate Corporation (www.actuate.com)
Scott Rosenbaum - BIRT PMC - Innovent Solutions (
www.innoventsolutions.com)
Jason Weathersby - Actuate Corporation (
www.actuate.com)
Minutes
July 18th and July 25th PMC Meetings
There were no BIRT PMC meetings for the last two weeks due to travel schedules.
BIRT PMC Membership Change
Jason Weathersby from Actuate has been elected to the BIRT PMC. Jason will be focusing on supporting and encouraging the use of BIRT in the development community through the BIRT project pages on the Eclipse web site and other mechanisms. Mark Coggins was temporarily filling this role and with the election of Jason, Mark has stepped down from the BIRT PMC.

BIRT 1.0.1 Update
The BIRT 1.0.1 Release Candidate (RC) 1 build was made available on July 29th for community review. Target date for the final BIRT 1.0.1 release is Monday August 8th.

As a reminder, BIRT 1.0.1 provides Eclipse 3.1 support and also includes an RCP version of the BIRT Report Designer. BIRT 1.0.1 also includes fixes for issues reported by the community (see bugzilla for details).

"New and Noteworthy" - We are working on the New and Noteworthy document for BIRT 1.0.1. We don't have an ETA right now but will update the community when we do. In the meantime, the community can get details on what is in the release from the BIRT 1.0.1 Project Plan and the Bugzilla entries that were addressed in BIRT 1.0.1.

BIRT 1.0.1 Download Pages
The BIRT project download pages have been updated to reflect the availability of new packages in BIRT 1.0.1:
BIRT RCP Report Designer - The BIRT RCP Report Designer is an example of deploying BIRT using the Eclipse Rich Client Platform (RCP) technology. This provides a simplified report designer without the additional perspectives in the standard Eclipse platform.

Samples - Sample integration code for reports and charts. Download this if you want examples of how to extend BIRT.
Test Suites - Automated tests for BIRT functions. Download this if you're a developer and want to modify, build and perform regression testing against your modified version of BIRT.

BIRT 2.0 Planning
Candidate project list and some proposals for future BIRT releases are available via the BIRT Wiki for comment by the community. For BIRT 2.0, the PMC aims to incorporate a number of these projects into the BIRT 2.0 Project Plan. Feedback from the community will help in prioritizing the project list.

To see the list of projects, go to the BIRT project pages (www.eclipse.org/birt) and follow links on the left menu for the BIRT Wiki.

Many of these projects already have a Bugzilla entry associated with them. The PMC will ensure that all of projects have a bugzilla entry.

EclipseCon 2006
Bjorn has sent out an email letting everyone know that they need to submit proposals for EclipseCon 2006 talks. The PMC believes there will be a lot of interest in BIRT and a community of developers hungry for in-depth BIRT information. However, we recognize that there are many projects that are part of the Eclipse community -- so we suspect there will be limited timeslots available for presentations. Scott R is going to email to Bjorn to get an idea of the types of activities the PMC can encourage/drive around BIRT for EclipseCon.

Jason W will coordinate proposals from the BIRT PMC.
Proposed New Committers: Krishna Venkatraman and Jason Weathersby
Paul C is going to propose that Krishna and Jason become committers for the BIRT project. Both these individuals are active in the development community for BIRT.

Updating the EMO on BIRT Activities
PMC recognizes that we need to update the EMO on BIRT related activities. This is to let the EMO know how much progress we have made on various items such as using Bugzilla, keeping the community posted on updates and so on.

Paul C will work on this. We will also make this material available to the overall community.
Proposed Eclipse Development Guidelines
The EMO has recently made available a revised "Eclipse Development Guidelines" document for review. The BIRT PMC needs to review this and provide feedback.

Back to the top