From: birt-charting-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:birt-charting-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Paul Clenahan
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 3:14 AM
To: For developers on the BIRT Charting project
Subject: RE: [birt-charting-dev] Specification update for BPS17 -ChartComponents

David,

Apologies for the delayed response...

From the document it appears that I can only use a single Style for all elements within the chart. For example, if I have defined a style in BIRT called "General Report Text", and I select this style for the chart, then all the fonts for headings, labels, legend, etc. in the chart will use this style (unless I override the style on an element directly). Is my understanding correct?

In general, it is the case that things like titles will be formatted differently from labels etc. In my report, I am much more likely to have multiple styles defined -- "General Report Text", "Section Heading Text", "Title Heading Text", etc. If it is not possible for a user to select different styles for different elements within the chart, this will limit how much styles are used here. Users will end up overriding the styles on many elements since it is unlikely that a chart heading will be formatted the same as a label, for example.

Paul.