RE: [birt-charting-dev] Chart functional specifications update - MeterCharts

Hi Sheldon,

Thank you for the specifications of this dial type. I have a few questions:

In case of multiple dials, did you consider as an alternative to show them next to each other, like we do for pie charts? I think one of the advantages of this approach is to allow multi-coloring of one given region, to act as a dashboard indicator. For instance if the temperature is higher than 50, the region color could change to red, then if the needle goes in the red, the user knows it requires specific attention. It also minimizes the complexity of the chart graphics, as it’s easier to read three separate dials than three superimposed dials (imagine if your car speedometer, engine rotation counter, and gas tank indicator were all in one same dial with three needles).

Regarding the model, I thought DialRegion would in fact be DialSeries in the types.xsd. I also assume this new type falls in the ChartWithoutAxes category. If we follow my suggestion above, it seems Dial and DialRegion will fusion together. If we keep the current design, maybe Dial should subclass ChartWithoutAxes instead of being a component, or maybe the other way would be to make it a ChartWithAxes and subclass the Axis interface with a DialAxis (Dial).

Thanks,

David