From: birt-charting-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:birt-charting-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Paul Clenahan
Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2005 12:16 AM
To: For developers on the BIRT Charting project
Subject: RE: [birt-charting-dev] Chart functional specifications update

David, Milind,

On Chart Interactivity, one area to think about is whether we can incorporate support for drill down/drill up and filter type functionality. I realize that the chart infrastructure and APIs will allow people to use the chart component for this type of interactivity if they want to build it -- but I'm wondering if we can build some capabilities into this area in the context of charts that are embedded in BIRT reports.

Example scenario #1: I am viewing a bar chart of world-wide sales by year -- with a bar for each year showing me total sales. I think click on bat for year "2005" and the chart changes to show me the sales for each quarter in 2005. Effectively, this "drill down" has applied a filter to only look at "2005", and has changed the series from year to quarter. If I wanted, could also drill back out to the year level.

Example scenario #2: I am looking at a pie chart that shows total sales for each product line in each slice of the pie. I click on the pie slice and we drill into a pie chart that shows the total sales numbers for all the individual products in that category.

This will only be possible if the data in the dataset can support the drill-down/up activity. In effect, this means that this capability would only work where the chart component is doing the aggregation activity. If the data has already been aggregated prior to be given to the chart, then no drill-down would be possible.

This type of "automatic" drill-down feature would be very compelling. Note that this is different from "drill-through", where a user hyperlinks to an additional report that shows data in different ways. Drill-through is also important, and already included in your spec via the hyperlink capability. The good part about offering both capabilities is that drill-through can be used where drill-down is not possible (e.g. when the detailed data in not available to the chart).

On a similar theme, a filter capability would be interesting -- provide some type of UI gesture that allows the user to apply a filter to the data being charted. Example: If "color" is in the original dataset (but not actually charted) then allow the end user to specify that the chart should only show products where "color=red". Simple filtering would be all that is required here (in order to keep the UI simple and easy to use) - along the lines of Excel's Automatic Filter capability.

For either of these features to work, the chart component UI would clearly need to have the detailed data available. In some case this might be practical, in some cases not (especially if the recordset is very large). For this reason, this would be a capability that the developer should be able to enable/disable.

With capabilities along these lines, charts in the context of a BIRT report now enable business users viewing the report to answer business questions that the original static chart did not answer. Example: "Yes, the original chart showed me that 2005 has the highest sales -- but now I can see which product in 2005 was the best selling product without going back to the report developer and creating another report". With this in mind, any interactive features in this area need to be very easy to use -- since it is the business user who is viewing the report that is using them.

Not sure if any of this is feasible in BIRT 2.0 -- but it would be extremely powerful and compelling.

Paul.