Re: [birt-charting-dev] Chart interactivity functional specifications

I looked over the current API and I believe the current programming model should suffice.   We may not need to provide additional extension points.  However, the programming model should include several new trigger conditions.

This conditions are related to highlighting elements in a chart.  User may want to provide scripts for these triggers.
focusin - Occurs when an element receives focus
focusout - Occurs when an element loses focus

We should also support these other mouse conditions.
mousedown - Occurs when the pointing device button is pressed over an element.
mouseup - Occurs when the pointing device button is released over an element.

The hover trigger condition should be separated in the following conditions:
mouseover - Occurs when the pointing device is moved onto an element.
mousemove - Occurs when the pointing device is moved while it is over an element.
mouseout - Occurs when the pointing device is moved away from an element.

I also suggest the following key down conditions.  This will also provide the ability to access scripts  via the keyboard which is a requirement to support accessibility.
onkeydown - Occurs when a key is pressed down on an element
onkeypress - Occurs when a key is pressed on an element
onkeyup - Occurs when a key is up on an element

This trigger condition is important for the SVG renderer.  It provides the ability to execute scripts before loading the svg in the svg viewer.
onload - Occurs when the svg is loaded in the viewer

It should be noted that the double-click condition will not work in some of the browsers.  The double-click is a "windows" concept and may not be supported on other platforms.

I would like to understand the menu bar feature in more detail.  Specifically the look and feel of the meu bar.  The work flow of the user to zoom in on a chart and rotate the chart.  I would really like to see these features in bugzilla since they directly will affect my work schedule.

I would just like to note that the chart interactivty feature depends on the framework that the BIRT engine is going to use to send information back to the server whether it be AJAX or some other technology.   I would also like to understand this framework when it becomes avialable to review.

Thanks,

Sheldon
______________________________________
Sheldon Lee-Loy
Problem Deterministic Group, IBM Toronto Lab
email: sleeloy@xxxxxxxxxx

"David Michonneau" <dmichonneau@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: birt-charting-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/22/2005 11:58 AM

Please respond to
For developers on the BIRT Charting project

<birt-charting-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[birt-charting-dev] Chart interactivity functional specifications

Hi,

In complement of Sheldon’s design document, here is a functional specifications draft for the chart interactivity features. Please send me your comments and suggestions.

Thanks,

birt-charting-dev mailing list
birt-charting-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx