Re: [babel-dev] Project source location not being picked up

Hi Denis, hi Kit,

>> Follow-up question: I just started with a translation of
>> technology.recommenders 2.0.6 into German, as gain some first-hand
>> experience of the whole Babel workflow. During that, I came across the
>> following message wenn translating a single key: "Translated 2 strings
>> across all Babel projects."
>>
>> Does that mean when I translate, say, the string "always" to "immer"
>> that other projects besides technology.recommenders 2.0.6 receive that
>> translation as a side-effect? That seems dangerous to me, as I don't
>> know their translation context, so I assume I misunderstood the above
>> message.
>
> That's exactly what it means, and over the years we've discovered that
> it's not dangerous at all.  In fact, it's quite beneficial, since any
> localized version of a string is likely to be more accurate to the end
> user than the default English string.  Should an automatically
> translated string be incorrect, it can be changed in the UI afterwards.
>
> In fact, don't be surprised if your project soon inherits many
> translated strings across all the languages we support as our Babel
> Syncup genie applies exact-matches from other projects to yours. Again,
> the idea is to accelerate translation by providing "something" instead
> of nothing, even if it's not entirely accurate. But again, in most
> cases, it is quite accurate.

thank you both for the explanation. And indeed, the German strings that
have been auto-translated for Code Recommenders so far look all
reasonably good.

One more question:

I assume the Babel UI automatically backslash-encodes umlauts and stuff
I submit through my web browser, right? Can I still manually insert
backslash-encoded Unicode characters like the typographically correct
hyphen (\u2010) or do I risk double-escaping then?

Best wishes,

Andreas

--
Codetrails UG (haftungsbeschränkt)