Re: [babel-dev] Project source location not being picked up

On 03/12/2014 04:46 AM, Andreas Sewe wrote:
Kit Lo wrote:
We used to have a background job that runs daily to process the map
files. It may not be running. I manually started the process.
Translatable strings for technology.recommenders 2.0.6 are now available
for translation.
Thanks, Kit. I think we had lost genie's crontab some time ago. Is the process "php5 process_project_source_locations.php" ? If so, I've added it to the crontab. It will run every hour.

Great. Thank you.

Follow-up question: I just started with a translation of
technology.recommenders 2.0.6 into German, as gain some first-hand
experience of the whole Babel workflow. During that, I came across the
following message wenn translating a single key: "Translated 2 strings
across all Babel projects."

Does that mean when I translate, say, the string "always" to "immer"
that other projects besides technology.recommenders 2.0.6 receive that
translation as a side-effect? That seems dangerous to me, as I don't
know their translation context, so I assume I misunderstood the above
message.

That's exactly what it means, and over the years we've discovered that it's not dangerous at all. In fact, it's quite beneficial, since any localized version of a string is likely to be more accurate to the end user than the default English string. Should an automatically translated string be incorrect, it can be changed in the UI afterwards.

In fact, don't be surprised if your project soon inherits many translated strings across all the languages we support as our Babel Syncup genie applies exact-matches from other projects to yours. Again, the idea is to accelerate translation by providing "something" instead of nothing, even if it's not entirely accurate. But again, in most cases, it is quite accurate.

Denis

Back to the top