Re: [babel-dev] Eclipse internationalization blog series on vogella.com

Hi

definitely a good series, a couple of points come to mind:

1) TapiJI/Babel Tools already adress some of the issues point out in part 1 of the series, specifically:
* You need to know the keys that are available in the resource bundle -> auto-complete and preview support
* If a key changes you need to search for the String in your code -> refactoring support
2) solution discussed in the posts 2-4: by using fields (instead of e.g. interface methods) you cannot pass parameters and therefore do message formating in the background. using @PostConstruct is only a solution for static message formating at instantiation time, if i for example want a parameter to change every time the string is displayed (e.g. displaying the result count of some query) then i have to do the formatting by hand
3) I fully agree with the point made in post 4 that the platform/application model should provide support for runtime label changes

All in all I think the core feedback of this series (and i've heard similar points from other sides as well) is that i18n in Eclipse (even e4) is still more complicated and less user (==programmer) friendly than it should be.

cheers
Stefan