[babel-dev] The Message Bundle Editor

Title: Message
I have committed some changes that start the process of merging Stefan's contribution into the Message Bundle Editor.  Stefan's code now uses the existing back-end model to update the messages, thus obsoleting the code in the parser package.  Stefan, I don't know if you still have time for this project, but if you think there is funtionality in your parser code that could benefit the existing code and could be merged into it, please let me know.  The tests don't include a wide set of files so I can't be sure.  The code is mostly in PropertiesSerializer and PropertiesDeserializer.

I also notice quite a bit of dead code in the Message Bundle Editor.  It is not always clear to me whether such code is old code that has not been removed or new replacement code that has not been finished.  An example is PropertiesFileGroupStrategy.  Pascal, I was wondering if you have written anything on any incomplete work.  I understand you are no longer able to be involved with the project but any guidance would be much appreciated.

I have also been wondering about the integration with the Babel server.  It seems to me that each plug-in should have stored somewhere in it the address of the Babel server that is maintaining the translations.  I started some work quite a while ago to get the plug-ins to prompt for and maintain the Bugzilla logins but I am not sure exactly how that is going to be connected to the server when updates are allowed.  I was pleased to see a REST implementation, but if I understand it correctly, that is read only and it is keyed off the default text, not the plug-in id, package, bundle name, key.  I assume not all Babel servers will require Bugzilla ids.  It would be nice if the login requirements could be fetched from the server.  Otherwise it could be hard-coded in the plug-in (which would prevent the policy from being changed once a plug-in is released).

Nigel

Back to the top