[babel-dev] Problems hosting Babel on SourceForge

Title: Message
I have always been hoping the Babel server could be used on open source projects such as those hosted on SourceForge.  I therefore tried to install Babel on SourceForge's servers.  I had a couple of problems.

The first is that SourceForge do not allow us to create triggers.  I have sent an e-mail to SourceForge to ask for the reason and whether there would be any possibility of getting such permission.  If we can't create triggers then I was wondering how much effort it would be have a version of Babel that does not use triggers.  I assume the PHP script could invoke the same statements that would have been done by the trigger.  This may be a problem not just at SourceForge but on other installations on ISP hosted servers.

I removed the 'create trigger' and 'drop trigger' statements from the setup script and the script then ran successfully.  However, when I try to go to the login page I get:

    An error has been encountered in accessing this page.
    1. Server: jmoney.sourceforge.net
    2. URL path: /error.php
    3. Error notes: NONE
    4. Error type: 404
    5. Request method: GET
    6. Request query string: errNo=101301
Not being very experienced with PHP and server side issues, I don't know how to debug this.  Searching on the error number shows nothing and I don't even know where this number comes from.  If I navigate directly to the help_babel.php file then it shows fine.  I did not set up an Apache alias so might this be the problem?  (I don't know if SourceForge allows aliases).  Could the absence of the triggers explain this?

It would be nice to have something the open source community can install on their hosted web servers, but if it is just not possible then it would be nice to know the reasons.  I have documented the steps I went through in the wiki: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Babel_/_Server_Tool_SourceForge_Installation

Nigel Westbury

Back to the top