[babel-dev] language pack building tool contribution by Team Azure

One of the goals of the Babel project is to develop tools to make the job of globalizing Eclipse projects easier. When we started the Babel project last year, I challenged a group of 4 co-op students at University of Ottawa (Team Azure) to develop some globalization tools for Eclipse.

After about a year's design, coding and reviews, they've implemented some very useful language fragment build tools. First, an internationalization wizard for generating language fragments. This wizard fits very nicely into PDE, and therefore have been integrated and contributed to PDE recently (see bug 201998).

Another part of the tool they developed was a language pack building tool, which includes a command line interface and Ant interface for building language packs. Team Azure is considering to contribute this tool to the Babel project. They will be opening a Bugzilla bug to go through the IP review in the next few days.

Personally, I think this tool will be very useful to the Eclipse community for globalizing Eclipse projects. I really appreciate their hard work for the past year and want to give a big thanks for their contribution.

Babel team members, please watch for this up coming bug and comment on the contribution.

Thanks,
Kit Lo
IBM Eclipse SDK Globalization Technical Lead
Eclipse Babel Project Co-lead

Back to the top