For those who do not follow all the
activities in the Bugzilla bugs, I want to summarize a few fixes and enhancements
we have recently.
Pseudo Translations Language Packs
We've implemented a new "Babel
Pseudo Translation Language Packs" (see bug 217339). The
Pseudo Translations Language Packs can
- identify hard-coded strings; a string is hard-coded if it does not have
the special prefix
- the added length to the strings can help identify layout problems; for
example, after adding "eclipse123456:" to "OK", a button
label is truncated
- identify the component the string is coming from; is the string from
Eclipse Platform or from my component?
- locate the file containing the string; there are probably a dozen copies
of the strings "File" or "OK". If you want to locate
a particular one to fix the translation, you just have to look up the prefix
number from an index file.
New Babel Update Site
We reorganized the Babel Update Site to list language packs by language.
- In each language category, language
packs for each project are listed.
- There is also a percentage of translation
completeness in the description.
- User may pick and choose the language
packs to install.
Babel Language Pack Links Page
the generation of language packs for the update site, we are creating the
downloadable language packs at the same time.
These few fixes and enhancements have
been released to CVS, but not deployed to the staging/live servers yet.
We will apply the fixes to the staging server very soon. Please give us
Web Master (Denis):
- please try the new language pack
generation (bug 217339 and bug 234430) on the staging server
- setup a new page for the "Babel
Language Pack Links" page (bug 234430)
- apply the patch for bug 248844
IBM Eclipse SDK Globalization Technical Lead
Eclipse Babel Project Co-lead