[b3-dev] General Question

Hi,

Our project has evolved to the point where we are looking at changing build systems to better align with current technology. Historically it was a POJO product, but has evolved into a more OSGi centric run-time tool/library and we need the build system to more effectively reflect that (compile based upon manifest dependencies, generate bundles appropriately, package in p2/maven) as well as maintain our legacy packaging. Our Ant system works, but is brittle and would need extension.

Therefore I've been looking at PDE, Maven, Buckminster, and B3. PDE is incomplete. Maven is only OSGi aware if extended. Buckminster seems like it has most of our functional requirements, but there is B3. I've reviewed, both the "BuckyBook", and the "definitive B3 guide", B3 seems to be a Buckminster replacement, but little is talked about but the aggregator.

The questions I have all can be boiled down to a few:
 - What is B3 solving that Buckminster doesn't? Or are they complimentary?
- How ready is B3 for use? If not very (I only see the aggregator available), how difficult would migration from Buckminster be once B3 is ready?
 --
-Eric

Oracle
Eric Gwin | Senior Software Developer
Phone: +613 288 4622 | | Fax: +613 2382818 | | Mobile: +613 8582347
Oracle Java Server Technologies
ORACLE Canada | 45 O'Connor St., Ottawa, Ontario | K1P 6L2

Green
            Oracle Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment

Back to the top