Re: [atf-dev] what is this project next release plan?

hi,

Looks like you're cooking something cool :-)
ATF uses Eclipse Debug API to integrate Mozilla's jsdIDebuggerService into Eclipse user interface.
The good place to start is following article that describes Eclipse Debug API:
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Debugger/how-to.html

After reading it, you should find yourself more familiar with ATF debugger implementation. ATF debugger is in
org.eclipse.atf.mozilla.ide.debug plugin, which source code is in CVS:
Host: dev.eclipse.org
Repository: /cvsroot/tools
CVS Path: org.eclipse.atf/components/plugins/org.eclipse.atf.mozilla.ide.debug
To read more about accessing Eclipse CVS, see http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/CVS_Howto

After reviewing ATF debugger source code, you'll see that it's mostly a wrapper around Mozilla's jsdIDebuggerService.
Mozilla services are indeed accessed via JavaXPCOM, as you noted already.

I'm not quite sure how to enable XUL debug, but I guess you should first figure out how to do this in plain Mozilla's debugger APIs and
then implement in in Java in ATF code via JavaXPCOM.

There's alternative implementation of JavaScript debugger in Eclipse JSDT project - It uses slightly different approach, that doesn't require JavaXPCOM. Based on Eclipse Debug API,
an independent JavaScript Debugger API is provided, that can hook into any JavaScript engines. As far as I know, JSDT currently supports a V8 debug protocol implementation and works on integrating it with Mozilla Crossfire (which in my vague understanding wraps Mozilla debugger service to V8 debug protocol). So, if XUL debug is something that can be done via Mozilla Crossfire, then you could also have a look at JSDT.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Jacek