RE: [atf-dev] XULRunner / ATF Update site

Marshall wrote:
> 1) Why are the URLs for feature JARs and plugins so radically different?
> Shouldn't the features / plugins dirs be in sync with each other?

>>The URLs are based on history which really doesn't matter at this point.
This could potentially change.
>>>I guess my main question here was why aren't they in a standard update
site format so users can point Eclipse
>>>their independently of ATF (or any other tools that depend on XULRunner
for that matter)
They are available in a way that can be used independetly from ATF.
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/xulrunner/eclipse is the update site URl.
Now the way xulrunners builds are released is that each new build goes in a
new directory.
Yet the update site need to have a stable location.
Therefore:
the site and features have been released at the  under
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/xulrunner/eclipse
the plugins are available in each release folders, and the archive tags in
the site.xml points to the right plugins.
This is not perfect but it works correctly.

> 2) Why is XULRunner packaged as 3 seperate features? This becomes hell
> for dependency management purposes. It was easier for me to just write
> one simple feature and put platform/OS conditions on each XULRunner
> plugin. You can find my feature.xml here:
> -
> http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbosstools/trunk/vpe/features/org.
> jboss.tools.xulrunner.feature/feature.xml
>>I'm not a feature expert, so there may be a way around my concerns when
just having one XULRunner feature.
There is no need to have three features. My mistake, as I was managing
releases at different paces for each OS. We can very much have one feature
with OS filters.

> 3) Why isn't ATF depending on XULRunner feature/plugins like it is with
> XPCOM? With the feature linked above we were able to have our feature
> depend on it, and use external plugin/feature jar linking (ala the
> current ATF update site) to have Eclipse auto-check XULRunner when the
> user presses "Select Required"
My comment ther is th same as Bob's. Xulrunner may be already installed. But
now we will soon be able to re-distribute Xulrunner  @ eclipse, we probably
could update the feture and create a dep.

Cordially
--
Philippe

Back to the top