Re: [atf-dev] Contributing to ATF

Benny

The personality support is in the process of changing. We are adding in what we are calling "Generic AJAX Runtime" support. Since most AJAX libraries are just a bunch of _javascript_ files, we are going to provide GUIs that will allow a developer just point to a runtime and then will be able to use it in ATF. Obviously the "Generic Runtime Support won't be as extensive as the personalities. The existing personalities and certain parts of the infrastructure use to implement the personalities will be now describes as example AJAX runtime implementations. Generally the code in plugin org.eclipse.atf.templates is the infrastructure support for the personalities. We want to move to be more AJAX runtime neutral. By building personalities we are picking which vendors work in ATF. Long term the Open Ajax Alliance is defining a standard for AJAX runtime vendors to implement that will allow the runtime to be plug into an IDE. When this standard is complete, ATF will look at implementing support for the standard.

We are in the process of reworking of the ATF and personality infrastructure, so interfaces you will be building against will most likely be changing, already changed, or may be dropped. For instance, the support in support in ATF's personality infrastructure that extended the template/snippet language beyond what is in base WTP will be dropped. Something like this needs to be submitted as a proposal to the WTP team and is beyond what should be in ATF.

We are always looking for contributions to ATF. The feeling of the team is that  we will want to point to your personality from the ATF site, instead of checking into our CVS. A possibility is to use SourceForge. We also need understand your commitment to support the personality. We are finding maintaining these personalities to be difficult. The Ajax runtimes change a often and they don't support backward compatibility. If you have fixes/enhancements to the base support, please submit them.

Now to your original question on how to build the code in the head. There are instructions on the site, but they are out of date for the head.

The head only build using eclipse 3.3 and wtp 2.0.

After you check out the plugins from the HEAD you need to delete the following plugins. They are either empty because they are not used in this branch or are not longer needed.

org.eclipse.atf.j2ee
org.eclipse.atf.personality.zimbra.j2ee.ui
org.eclipse.atf.j2ee.ui
org.eclipse.atf.personality.dojo.j2ee
org.eclipse.atf.personality.zimbra.staticweb
org.eclipse.atf.personality.rico.j2ee
org.eclipse.atf.personality.zimbra.j2ee
org.eclipse.atf.staticweb
org.eclipse.atf.ui.extras
org.eclipse.atf.mozilla.swt.browser.
org.eclipse.atf.mozilla.swt.browser.carbon.macosx
org.eclipse.atf.mozilla.swt.browser.gtk.linux.x86_64
org.eclipse.atf.mozilla.swt.browser.win32.win32.x86
org.eclipse.atf.mozilla.swt.browser.gtk.linux.x86
org.eclipse.atf.server.http.core
org.eclipse.atf.server.http.ui

org.eclipse.atf.personality.zimbra.* - Delete all the zimbra plugins since they haven't been updated to the new structure.

Download the _javascript_ and XPCOM pugins and import into your workspace.

org.mozilla._javascript_ - ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/eclipse/plugins/org.mozilla._javascript__1.6.2.jar
org.mozilla.xpcom - http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/xulrunner/releases/1.8.1.3/contrib/eclipse/org.mozilla.xpcom_1.8.1.3-20070320.jar

Download Xulrunner plugin for your platform and manually import it to your workspace. The URLs are the following

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/xulrunner/releases/1.8.1.3/contrib/eclipse/org.mozilla.xulrunner.carbon.macosx_1.8.1.3-20070404.jar
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/xulrunner/releases/1.8.1.3/contrib/eclipse/org.mozilla.xulrunner.gtk.linux.x86_1.8.1.3-20070404.jar
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/xulrunner/releases/1.8.1.3/contrib/eclipse/org.mozilla.xulrunner.win32.win32.x86_1.8.1.3-20070404.jar"

   Thanks