Re: [atf-dev] Re: atf-dev Digest, Vol 7, Issue 15

At 07:45 AM 10/26/2006, you wrote:
Sorry for this naive question... but what does javascript "validation" do?
Is it responsible for syntax checking in the editor window?

Yes.  There are two validators: one does a syntax pass using Rhino's
parse (which I believe can deal with const if the option is turned on)
and another which uses JSLint (www.jslint.com) to look for what it
considers to be style or syntax errors.

Rhino has various options we can tweak, and eventually we'd like to
expose some or all of these in a preferences panel somewhere.

I set "Suspend all validators" in Window->Preferences->Validation.
I still have syntax checking in the .js window and I still see:
Javascript Rhino parse time elapsed=0

File a bug and we'll look into it.  It sounds like it might be a no-op
with a meaningless debug message, but I'm kind of surprised our
validators get called at all from the framework, unless I'm
misunderstanding the meaning of "suspend all validators".

I filed a bug, but based on Bob Goodman' s note I guess that the issue
is batch vs as-you-type: the preference only sets the former.

FYI, the javascript that will not validate is Mozilla XUL - related javascript
with "const" sprinkled about.

Okay, so when you say it will not validate, you mean it is running and
you are getting markers in your document which you'd rather not see?
Yes, the validator is currently "optimized" for HTML pages and flags
anything which would potentially make cause problems in cross-browser
JS development.  It sounds like you need a preferences setting...
perhaps you should file an enhancement request for this.

I filed an enhancement request, thanks.

Regards,
Adam