Re: [aspectj-users] About AspectJ

Hi.

Thanks for your question. The Baeldung page is just a quit entry-level tutorial, not a course. It points to a course, but that is a Spring Boot course. AspectJ is completely independent of Spring, even though Spring's proxy-based "AOP lite" solution Spring AOP uses AspectJ syntax.

You seem to have used a web search engine, Wikipedia or ChatGPT in order to find this sentence containing "PARC". Both a web search and Wikipedia will lead you directly to the home page https://eclipse.dev/aspectj/, where you would immediately find the "Docs" link to https://eclipse.dev/aspectj/docs.php, where you can find lots of material for learning AspectJ.

If you like a more modern layout of the same documentation, there is a work-in progress branch containing the docs in AsciiDoc format on GitHub under https://github.com/eclipse-aspectj/aspectj/issues/76 - I really should finish the job for the latter sometime soon, I simply never felt like digging in again.

An older, but still very much recommendable book by Ramnivas Laddad is "AspectJ in Action, 2nd edition". You can buy it as a hardcopy or read it online. Take a look here: https://livebook.manning.com/book/aspectj-in-action-second-edition/about-this-book/ It explains both AspectJ and some Spring specifics. But for Spring AOP (not native AspectJ!), the Spring Core manual is also a good starting point.

Hope this helps.
--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de