Re: [aspectj-users] Add my aspect to different projects

Hello Mike.

I have a few questions:

  • How are you using the aspect in your code? Do you compile the whole code with the AspectJ compiler (Ajc) or is the aspect in a separate JAR and used via LTW?
  • How do you intend to use it for other products? LTW? Binary post-compile weaving? Compilation with Ajc? I guess it depends on what you mean by "other products" and whether they are in-house or 3rd party.
  • What do you need the stacktraces for? Please elaborate and explain as detailed as possible.
  • Is your intention to find usages of your own deprecated methods or that of 3rd party code, maybe even JRE/JDK?
  • Have you considered using the AspectJ features "declare error" or "declare warning" and just get rid of deprecated class/method usage right during compilation instead of during runtime, using expensive stacktrace analysis?
  • As for your original question, the answer could be anything from implementing an interface as you suggest to using an abstract base aspect. But really, this looks like a "declare warning" use case to me.
  • Would you mind giving us a full picture with the stacktrace helper class and some simple sample code? An [SSCCE](http://sscce.org/) maybe?

Sorry, many questions, I know. But your question is not trivial and I do not like to make suggestions based on too many assumptions and educated guesses.

Kind regards

--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de