Re: [aspectj-users] How to understand source code of aspectj compiler

The main repository (which might be what you cloned) contains most of AspectJ but the compiler itself is in a separate repo and consumed as a jar in the main repo. The compiler repo is here:

It is an AspectJ project. Basically the eclipse java compiler with some direct modifications and some aspects that deal with some crosscutting concerns in it. I only mention it in case you want to build it from source. But if you just need to step through things, just use the main repo and put breakpoints in the compiler classes in the jdtcore.jar file (in module org.eclipse.jdt.core).  Just be aware that aspects are in the mix.

The flow is very similar to the Eclipse JDT compiler, for parsing and generated class files.

cheers,
Andy