[aspectj-users] AspectJ on Java9 - early version available...

Recently the results of project jigsaw have been merged into Java9 early access builds. This means there is no longer an rt.jar but instead a number of .jimage files that contain the core classes. For more details read JEP 220 (and related JEPs): http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/220 . Compilers/weavers and similar kinds of tool need updating to work with the new structure.

There has been some very very early work on the JDT compiler to support this new JVM structure and I’ve used that, and made some extra compiler/weaver changes. The result is a kind of AspectJ 1.9.0 beta that can run on Java9. It doesn’t support source/target 1.9, it simply understands the new packaging structure for classes and so can run on a 1.9 VM.

If anyone wants to take it for a spin, it is here, I’m sure it isn’t perfect:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/tools/aspectj/dev/aspectj-DEVELOPMENT-190beta1.jar

The next release of AspectJ will be 1.8.6, business as usual for now, the real 1.9.0 is some way off!

cheers,
Andy

Back to the top