Re: [aspectj-users] [ajdt-dev] AJDT Performance Issues

Hi Andy,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and providing me with very relevant information..

Here are a few responses and follow-up questions

·         We are using 2.2.3 of AJDT in Eclipse 4.3. We’ve left AJDT using the default RT JAR (1.7.3). I did try it on 1.8.1 but there was no obvious difference.

·         We do not have any cflow pointcuts

·         I wonder if it’s more popular to use aspect with LTW insead of CTW. Perhaps we are approaching this wrong.

·         10404 marker might be about right.. we’re advising all getter and setters in our entities as you say 14 * 700 would get you this and 14 attributes on average in an entity would sound correct.

·         In relation to the markers I’ve attached a file with a few back to back “clean project” calls.. The marker creation times are about 30 sec (299509 à 318863)

o    When profiling and looking at the output I did notice that our project has LOTS of compiler warnings (un-used imports, raw types, type safety, deprecated API calls etc). Would this be adding an extra overhead to AJDT that JDT manages better?

cid:image008.png@01CFDF33.77B46170

·

·         You are correct the timings I was providing were compile + weave times… Prior to making our AspectJ project an eclipse FULL compile was taking roughly 70 seconds.. So it’s now 1.5 times slower?

o    I’m guessing what makes us more conscious of a FULL compile time now is it seems to occur much more frequently now that the builder is the ajbuilder and we have acpects.. I’m guessing the triggers which I’ve seen in AJDT Trace are affected by the type of pointcuts we have defined. So even though we have Incremental enabled a lot of the time if decides to do a FULL build rather than incremental

·         I have grepped for “org.aspectj.weaver.WeaverState” and it is only in the  700 classes we except to weaved so I’m guessing the other types are that debug information the compiler added.. Also the advise markers and cross references in Eclipse have always looked pretty correct.

·         I have attempted to use the non-standard compiler options you mentioned in another blog post. This improves the stability of Eclipse greatly as much less memory is used however weaving takes much longer initially

17:46:49 Timer event: 2609387ms: Total time spent in AJBuilder.build()

·         So the profiling… I’ve attached the file with the profiling output

o    None of these numbers are particularly shocking…. So I assume these times are not per class file but an overall time spent matching for full weave?

o    The obvious big number is the call advise.. We hope to remove this and place the logic in an execute

o    We do use within() to limit the pointcuts to classes annotated with @Entity yet and we know it only weaves 700 classes yet it seems to find types:#17731 on fast match.. Is within() not behaving as expected

§  Perhaps other wildcard pointcuts are making the match not so certain?

·         When we weave in our build (via ANT) we weave into the byte code.. We invoke the weave command 12 times to account for the various modules and the total time spent weaving is about 2 mins… Which suggests weaving requires a significant amount of time.

o    Unfortunately we are not in a position to split out our eclipse project based on these modules delineations

·         I’ve also attached our aspect (minus the code in the advices) in case that helps when reviewing

Thanks again for helping with this.

Rich