Re: [aspectj-users] Adding a new buddy field for EVERY existing field in a class ?!

A general comment: In connection with AspectJ there is a lot of bias that several straightforward solutions might be "overhead", often before people even try them. Instead they come up with very complex ideas which usually introduce much more (or at least no less) overhead.

Another thing I see is that often AspectJ is used as a vehicle to cover up really bad application design.

I know this does not help the author of the original question, but I need to get this off my chest today: AspectJ is so powerful and can tremendously help to get a better overall application design. It is also a nice tool, to perform some clever stunts and quick fixes in situations where you are under pressure and just need to solve a problem without having the luxury of enough time to refactor a complex application. But the former is IMO the main selling point of AspectJ, not the latter. Powerful tools all have this downside: When not weilded skillfully, they do not help much, sometimes even do damage. But it is fun to learn AspectJ and discover its power and how to use it. I would rate myself mere beginner evolving into an advanced AspectJ user, so you do not need to pay attention to my private philosophy or "wisdom". Still it it my opinion.

Alexander Kriegisch

Back to the top