Re: [aspectj-users] How to add methods to java.lang.String

Hi Andy,

Apply that to the JVM classes:
ajc -inpath rt.jar StringUtils.java -outjar newrt.jar

Thanks very much, this shows that it is an eclipse AJDT only restriction and
not the AspectJ compiler.

The reason I am asking this sort of question is because JRuby(which also
supports this sort of Meta Programming in "open class" done it even at
script level to allow java class to access the new feature introduce to a
final class.)

Here is something that I do not understand. Why this is perfectly working
without error in eclipse plugin AJDT and NOT

public aspect JavaLangSystemAspect {
 /**
     * Selects calls to System.currentTimeMillis() occurring within tested
code.
     */
    pointcut currentTimeMillis() :
             call(public long System.currentTimeMillis());

    long around() : currentTimeMillis(){
        return 12345;
    }
}

public class SystemUser
{

    public static void MillisUser(){
        // will show only 12345
        System.out.println("The
currentTimeMilis:"+System.currentTimeMillis());
    }

    public static void main(String[] args)
    {
        MillisUser(); // will show only 12345
    }

}

I can't comment on  the legality of it, but I perhaps wouldn't advise
shipping a product that included a modified set of classes like this.