Re: [aspectj-users] Aspect instantiation modes perthis, pertarget, percflow, percflowbelow - what is the motivation for there existence?

perthis/pertarget - use those when you want to associate extra state
with an object in the system.  That is easier than maintaining a map
in a singleton aspect that maps from the object to some 'extra state
holding' object.

percflow/percflowbelow - similarly this is when you just want extra
state to live for a particular control flow.  Perhaps some kind of
request context.  It can be used instead of a ThreadLocal (or a
singleton Map)

The book 'Eclipse AspectJ' includes some examples, and I dare say
Ramnivas' book does too (AspectJ in Action).

You might ask, for a perthis aspect, why use that rather than an ITD -
well the ITD affects *all* the objects of that type in the system
whereas the perthis aspect will only be 'augmenting' those that match
the specified pointcut.

cheers,
Andy