Re: [aspectj-users] Removing fields

Hi,

Removing annotations was the first time we'd explored any kind of
removal of something from a type.  I'm nervous about going further,
even with something like fields it would be very easy to leave a class
in a state where other types that depend upon on it are then broken. I
guess if it was scoped down to private fields and you couldn't do it
if we determined any code in that type was using the field, we could
do something.  But that kind of code (detecting if the field is used
somewhere) is not something we already have so would need writing and
integrating into the weaver pipeline.  Would these kinds of fields
have getters/setters - what would happen to those? If only used in a
getter/setter is it still safe to remove, if the getters/setters are
also removed we're back to the case of leaving other code that depends
on us in a broken state.  I just think there are a lot of things to
think through for a general solution.

cheers
Andy