[aspectj-users] Examining a destructive read in an aspect

I've been working on intercepting the service() method invocation in a Sonic ESB container.  I had just started to write my before() advice when the bad news dawned on me.  Just about every ESB service() method starts with the following...

   public void service(XQServiceContext ctx) throws XQServiceException {
        XQEnvelope env = null;
        while (ctx.hasNextIncoming()) {
            env = ctx.getNextIncoming();
            if (env != null) {
                XQMessage msg = env.getMessage();
That call to ctx.getNextIncoming() is a destructive read that returns a different XQEnvelope every time it's called.  The problem is that I need to evaluate the contents of the message that comes from ctx.getNextIncoming() in my before() advice.  What that means is that the call to ctx.getNextIncoming() in the service() method is not going to get the message, because the before() advice already got it.

Now I'm wondering if there's a way to put an aspect around ctx.getNextIncoming() to make it deliver the message again.  Or if I can somehow clone ctx so that I can read the cloned message in before() and then read it from the real XQServiceContext object in service().  XQServiceContext doesn't offer any way to peek or browse, and it doesn't have a method to put a message, either.

I would imagine I'm not the first person to run into this kind of issue with AOP before.  I'm hoping that there's a pattern to address it.

Thanks,
Lee Grey

Back to the top