Re: [aspectj-users] StackOverflowError

The problem that you are seeing is coming about because we have changed the handle identifiers for aspect elements in 2.1.1.  Handle identifiers are a way to uniquely identify a Java or Aspect element using a string.

Although the new handle identifier scheme is self-consistent and is working, the problem is that some of the old identifiers are cached in the .plugins folder in your workspace.  And these old identifiers are not compatible with the new identifier tokenizer.  I think the only way to get rid of this stack overflow is to delete some or all of your cache.

1. go to your workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.jdt.ui folder
2. make a backup copy of OpenTypeHistory.xml (just in case)
2. Edit OpenTypeHistory.xml
3. remove all sub-elements of the typeInfoHistroy (sic) root element

That worked for me.  I didn't even need to restart.  If that doesn't work for you, then you may have to delete some more of your cache.  You can try the dialog_settings.xml file and the files in the other org.eclipse.jdt plugins.

Please let me know if this works for you.