Re: [aspectj-users] Rebuild AspectJ project after eclipse restart

Yes, that is the trade-off with using these options, speed vs memory -
but I'm not sure I would have expected them to be quite so exaggerated
for you!

typeDemotion=true - means eagerly throw stuff away that we might or
might not need later.  Without demotion you run with a large heap as
everything is kept around.  With it turned on you are often throwing
things away you'll need again.  It isn't a particular smart algorithm
right now though, I imagine we could apply some smarts to maybe keep
things around longer that seemed to be used frequently.

minimalModel=true - this is not a trade off at all.  This will save
memory *but* pieces of the model are only discarded (to save memory)
if they are not affected by ITDs or advice.  This means if you have
aspects that hit only a few files in a large project, you can save a
load of memory, but if you have something like a tracing aspect that
hits 99% of your files, it won't save much at all.

If you don't think all your files are being hit by advice/itds, I'd
recommend just using minimalModel=true, to see if it helps alleviate
the GC thrashing.  Meanwhile it sounds like we should look at making
type demotion smarter so that it isn't such an extreme tradeoff.  I
wonder what your build time would be without the heap thrashing,
whatever that number is, it ought to be achievable with an intelligent
type demotion algorithm.

Andy.