[aspectj-users] AJDT memory usage

Hi,

We are thinking about introducing AspectJ into our project, so we started by
switching from the Java compiler to the AspectJ Builder to make sure it is at
least capable of building the project. It turns out the AspectJ Builder is
able to build the project, but its memory usage is way to high to be usable.
After a full rebuild, eclipse uses almost 1.2GB, even after a full GC.

Inspection of a heap dump shows this memory is all taken by 42 AjState (and
referenced) objects (one for each AspectJ project in my workspace). One even
takes over 350M. Most of the memory usage seems to be in the AspectJ world.

This is on a project with just over 600k lines of Java code, 1 aspect (with a
few declare error statements, no advice) and the spring-aspects, mostly for
the @Transactional aspect. This project contains 42 modules, all projects in
Eclipse. I'm using Eclipse 3.5.2 with the latest AJDT development build
(2.1.1.e35x-20100712-1300) with AspectJ 1.6.10.20100712130000.

Is there any way we can reduce this memory usage? I tried disabling
incremental building and disabling the weaving service, but that didn't help.

Best regards,
Emond Papegaaij

Back to the top