Re: [aspectj-users] Introduce static members into several classes at once?

Hi Martin,
yes, unfortunately you can declare a static ITD only directly on a class, not on an interface. You could change Loggable to be a class (you can use declare parents to alter also superclasses and not only interfaces), but still it will not work as expected, cause there will be only one static logger in Loggable, and not one in each class as it would happen when injecting an interface. Moreover, also when injecting an interface, if there is a hierarchy the method/field will be injected in the topmost class and not in subclasses.

You can "simulate" a static field using pertypewithin ( http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/doc/next/adk15notebook/pertypewithin.html ), something like this :

public @interface MakeLoggable {}

public interface Loggable{
 Logger getLogger();
}

// pertypewithin : one aspect instance per type affected
// you could use Loggable+, cause all @MakeLoggable will implement Loggable as declared in next aspect
public aspect LoggerHolder pertypewithin(@MakeLoggable *) {
  // Ths is private to the aspect instance
  private Logger logger;
  public Logger getLogger() {
    return mLogger; // okay, lazy initialization here
  }
}

public aspect LoggableImpl {
 declare parents: (@MakeLoggable *) implements Loggable;

 public Logger Loggable.getLogger()
{
   Loggerholder holder = LoggerHolder.aspectOf(this.getClass());
   // Maybe check for holder != null?  just in case :D
   return holder.getLogger();
}
}

I have separated in two aspects to make it easy to read.

Another approach could be to inject the (same) Logger into each instance :

public interface Loggable{
 Logger getLogger();
 void setLogger(Logger l);
}

public aspect LoggableImpl {
 declare parents: (@MakeLoggable *) implements Loggable;

 private Logger Loggable.logger = null;

 public Logger Loggable.getLogger()
{
   return logger;
}

 public void Loggable.setLogger(Logger l) {
  logger = l;
}
}

public aspect LoggerHolder pertypewithin(Loggable+) {
  private Logger staticLogger = null;
  after(Loggable instance) : execution(* Loggable+.new(..)) && this(instance) {
    if (staticLogger == null) // init the logger
    instance.setLogger(staticLogger);
  }
}

However, this is okay if you are trying to understand how AspectJ can be used, but to produce a logging/tracing aspect there are simpler ways that don't require injecting a logger or a static logger :

public aspect LogAllCalls pertypewithin(@Logme *) {
   private Logger logger = null;
   private void initLogger(Class c) {
      // lazy init
   }

   after() : staticinitialization((@Logme *)) {
      initLogger(thisJoinPointStaticPart.getSignature().getDeclaringType());
   }

   pointcut logmethod() : execution(* (@MakeLoggable *).*(..));

   before() : logmethod() {
      logger.debug("Start of " + thisJoinPoint.toLongString() + " with parameters " + thisJoinPoint.getArgs());
   }
   after() : logmethod() {
      logger.debug("End of " + thisJoinPoint.toLongString());
   }

   // etc...
}

Again, I haven't tested any code snippet in this mail (so they will contain errors and typos :)) , but should give you an idea.

Hope this helps,
Simone

2010/4/22 Martin Schafföner <the.shapht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> you can declare fields on multiple classes at once. You need to declare
> an interface, then declare the field/methods/whatever on that
> interface, then inject the interface on the target types.

That's what I tried and what worked:

public @interface MakeLoggable {}

public interface Loggable{
 Logger getLogger();
}

public aspect AutoLogging {
 declare parents: (@MakeLoggable *) implements Loggable;

 public Logger Loggable.mLogger;

 public Logger Loggable.getLogger()
{
 return mLogger; // okay, lazy initialization here
}
}

> It should work with static fields as well, but I've never used static
> ITDs so try playing with it a bit. Obviously, where i wrote

However, if I switch the mLogger injection to

public static Logger Loggable.mLogger;

I get an error that I cannot introduce a static member into an interface.

So, can I get this done at all? If so, how?

Martin