Re: [aspectj-users] ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException when compiling plain Java code (no aspects yet)

Hi,

On 22 April 2010 00:26, Martin Schafföner <the.shapht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > BTW: What are the plans, if any, to update the AspectJ compiler to a
>> newer
>> > upstream JDT compiler version?
>>
>> Not currently on the radar as I only get about 1 bug every couple of
>> years that is due to a fix I'm missing from JDT - you were unlucky to
>> be the one in the first thing you tried :)
>
> Well, there seems to be another bug related to generics that I hit. The
> original code compiled fine in Eclipse 3.5.2, but not so with AJDT. Will try
> to isolate the problem into a small test case.

You really are having the worst luck.  I get about 1 bug every couple
of years that turns out to be a fix I need to pickup from JDT - but
you've hit a couple!

>> I will likely do it when I create the 3 language compiler for
>> groovy/java/aspectj.  That is a commonly voted on issue in bugzilla.
>>
>> Do you have some requirement that means I should look at it sooner?
>
> Well, I encountered some bugs related to compiling plain Java code which
> were fixed in later versions of the JDT compiler. If I suggest to management
> to go with AspectJ there may be some questions raised about versions,
> compatibility, and stability. If I could tell them that there were some bugs
> that were fixed amazingly fast, but that an update to a supposedly more
> stable upstream JDT compiler is under way, I could probably more easily
> pacify their concerns.

We change the JDT compiler quite radically to implement intertype
declarations so there is always a little time of instability after
rebasing AspectJ on a new level of JDT.  I guess I prefer to suffer
that instability as infrequently as I can.  Java 7 changes in JDT will
necessitate me upgrading - but I'm not yet sure how much of that will
be coming in Eclipse 3.6.  I can imagine a rebase on Eclipse 3.6, and
tackling integration of groovy compilation at the same time.

If you hit an issue I couldn't easily pick up as a fix from JDT,
something more serious, that could cause me to do the full upgrade.
So, rest assured, you wouldn't be left hanging with a serious issue
that wasn't getting any attention.  If a full upgrade is required, it
will get done.

> But other than that, I'm still astonished how fast those two bugs were
> fixed!

I like to think we prioritize important problems and get the fixes out
fast.  Did I release an AJDT with those fixes in yet?  Not sure I did,
I'll do that this week as I've a few other fixes to get out there.

Andy

Back to the top