Re: [aspectj-users] adding and working with local variables using aspect J

Hi Arvind,

AspectJ does not support crosscutting on local variables. Ther are only few works related to them. You can check these works:

Énfasis, a framework that uses bytecode instrumentation to implement a basic model for crosscutting on local variables. Currently, this framework has been complementing with a layer to provide a specific domain language for defining aspects related to local variables.
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1363752

Bugdel, a tool based on AOP for debugging. This tool uses local variables.
http://www.csg.is.titech.ac.jp/projects/bugdel/index-e.shtml

Fine-grained generic aspects, an approach that uses Logic Meta-Variables
http://www.eecs.ucf.edu/FOAL/papers-2006/RhoKnieselAppeltauer.pdf

There are other approaches, but (from my knowledge) without implementations. Also note that local variable crosscutting is extremely fragile.

Best regards
Ulises