[aspectj-users] Issue with generics

Hello,

I have a problem that I tried boiling down to as small a code sample as possible. The following gives me the error "The method instanceOf(Class<? extends Object>) is ambiguous for the type MyObject" on the "instanceOf" method call in the main method:

public aspect MyAspect
{
   public interface MyInterface
   {
       public boolean instanceOf(Class<? extends Object> c);
   }

   declare parents: MyObject implements MyInterface;

   public boolean MyInterface.instanceOf(Class<? extends Object> c)
   {
       return c.isInstance(this);
   }
}

class MyObject
{
}

class Main
{
   public static void main(String[] args)
   {
       new MyObject().instanceOf(Object.class);
   }
}

First, I wonder if this fails to compile for everyone or if it is just me. Second, since I suspect I may have a compatibility issue, here are my specs:

* Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
* Eclipse Galileo
* Mac OS X JavaVM 1.5.0 (J2SE-1.5)
* AspectJ 1.6.6

If the problem is with the code, I'd like to know the "better" way to accomplish the above.

I would appreciate any help you could give,

-Michel

Back to the top