Re: [aspectj-users] New intertype syntax ...new meaning?

I really like the idea of transparent advices/ITDs, and I think that
the example that you've given is not something that I've come across.
I don't know if it's a corner case or not for everyone, though.

I'm not sure I understand the @Inline annotation.  Can you elaborate
on that one?

Here's the primary usage I have of ITDs:

@Entity @Coded public class Thing { /* ... */ }
================
public interface Coded { String getCode(); }
================
public aspect CodedMixin {
  public interface IntroducedCoded extends Coded {}
  declare parents: ((@Entity *) && (@Coded *)) implements IntroducedCoded;

  @Column(name="code") private String IntroducedCoded.code;

  public String IntroducedCoded.getCode() { return code; }
  public void IntroducedCoded.setCode(String code) { this.code = code; }
}

I do this to allow for any implementation of Coded, while introducing
a specific implementation of Coded to those that I want to, in
particular, @Entity's annotated with @Coded.  This results in a
postweaving class declaration of Thing that implements
IntroducedCoded, which uses a scary mangled name
(...$CodedMixin$IntroducedCoded) and has a public field with a mangled
field name for "code".

With fully transparent ITDs, I'd like to be able to say that
@Coded-annotated @Entity's implement Coded (not IntroducedCoded), with
an implementation of the one in the aspect, with no indication that it
was introduced, and with a non-mangled, non-public field name such
that decompiling Thing after weaving would result in the following:

public class Thing implements Coded {
  protected String coded; // note non-public
  public String getCode() { return code; }
  public void setCode(String code) { this.code = code; }
}

Make sense?

-matthew

mailto:matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx