Re: [aspectj-users] Visibility of inter-type members with @DeclareMixin and @DeclareParents

Hi Andrew,

If you publish a jar whose classes have introduced methods and then
you use that jar in another project, the synthetic methods are visible
via content assist in the consuming project.  I don't mind if someone
wants to go to the trouble of using reflection to access non-publics,
but I do care that the consumer of the introduced classes can see the
fact that they have been woven with new public fields and methods.
IMHO, the public interface of the woven classes should not change,
unless the change(s) is(are) to implement a new public interface, in
which case you should only see the class declaration's additional
"implements" clause and the additional public methods of that
interface.  The public consumer of a class in normal usage
(non-reflection) should not have any clue that AspectJ was used to
weave the class.

With regard to synthetic method filtering, the introduced methods
would only be filtered during content assistance in an editor that
knew about AspectJ, which is only eclipse with AJDT installed, if I'm
not mistaken.  Other editors, and eclipse without AJDT, would display
the introduced methods, which is undesirable.

If only load-time weaving were used, then this is a non-issue, but I
feel that compile-time weaving is more pragmatic, especially in
application server environments, and that's when this issue is
experienced.

I don't want to ask for something that doesn't make sense.  Does it
now?  Please confirm.

Thanks,
Matthew

mailto:matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx