Re: [aspectj-users] Future of AspectJ

JXInsight which has a set of extensions to its Probes Open API based on AspectJ already supports this kind of instrumentation (and metering) of JRuby Ruby execution engine (VM).

http://williamlouth.wordpress.com/2008/10/14/cross-language-profiling-with-jxinsight-jruby-to-ruby/

We are also planning on extending this multi-language support to other JVM languages.

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:50:30 +0100
From: Ashley Williams <ashpublic@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aspectj-users] Future of AspectJ
To: aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx

Traits are a good feature but they are localized to the class that does the extending. AspectJ is still useful for targeting a whole set of classes, say in the same package or marked with an annotation. What would be great is if the aspect could then add the mixin scala-style using the trait api - but that would require "AspectS" as mentioned
by Miles.

Besides AspectJ can do a lot more than simulate mixin behavior. Personally I think there will always be room for aspectj in any of the jvm languages because of its close and honest proximity to the bytecode and because it provides a way of encapsulating otherwise scattered host language constructs whatever they
might be.

Maybe we need AspectJVM, AspectJ, AspectS, AspectG and AspectC - the
last one being for clojure - although It would be interesting to see a jvm language
absorb an aspectj flavor directly into its compiler.

Back to the top