Re: [aspectj-users] Future of AspectJ

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Ashley Williams<ashpublic@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> So the scala team would have to get up to speed with the pointcut parser and
> coordinate with the aspectj team.
> That's assuming they are already familiar enough with aspectj already. And
> then put some sort of implementation
> together and go through many test and release iterations. Whilst all the
> time attending to main scala issues.
> Given that I don't even see much interest in pursuing this, it looks scala
> users will need to be familiar with the source
> transformations for a long time to come in order to use aspectj. Unless you
> suddenly switch from Groovy to Scala, Andy ;-)

Actually, my understanding is that specifying pointcuts in Scala code
mostly works quite well currently.

The bug Andy mentioned is one reported by me and most likely relates
to Scala constructs which map to bytecode which would never be
generated by javac but which is quite legal according to the JVM spec
(I'm guessing that it's related to Scala's early initializers).

On the face of it this is an AspectJ bug: it should be able to handle
any JVM-legal bytecode. And I guess it would be relatively easy to fix
by someone who understood the issues and had the time to devote to it.
But that really depends on there being someone who sees enough value
to put the effort in.

That bit is relatively easy. If it were done, I'd then like to be able
to write aspects with advice expressed directly in Scala, rather that
doing what I do now in the Scala IDE for Eclipse (which is write
advice in AspectJ/Java and delegate to vanilla Scala to do any heavy
lifting).

But that would be a different language, AspectS rather that AspectJ ...

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin