[aspectj-users] ITD Implementation & Performance

Hey Everyone,

    We are using aspectj and ITD to implement some cross-cutting concerns in
our project. Our implementation consists of ~5 ITD fields + getters for
those fields. I have recently been profiling the application, and noticed
that calling these getters takes up a significant amount of time; enough so
that it shows up as a couple percentage points on the profiler (YourKit).

    Therefore, I have a couple questions regarding the
implementation/performance of ITD:

1. Is what I'm seeing really correct? Or, is the profiler somehow being
tricked by aspectj's ITD implementation?
2. Are there known performance overheads for ITD? For example, is ITD
implemented using some kind of mapping between object/aspect and therefore
requires a lookup on each method invocation?
3. Assuming people have experienced similar overhead as well, are there any
workarounds/best-practices for implementing performant ITD?

    Thanks in advance,
                Keith

Back to the top