Re: R: Re: [aspectj-users] ITD syntax

By the way, I kind of like the Type.{...} syntax for simplified code style.

On Dec 8, 2008, at 3:03 PM, Ramnivas Laddad wrote:

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Andy Clement <andrew.clement@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I like the idea of simplifying the syntax but I keep changing my mind
over the syntax I most prefer.  It is probably this actually:

intertype(AnotherClass){

      public String someVar;

      public String getSomeVar(){
              return someVar;
      }
}

Since everything is there and it is clear. I'm just nervous about new
keywords and how easily I can persuade the compiler to deal with it.
I would see this just as syntax sugar on the current ITD model though,
and not change any semantics to say that it means anything like a
mixin/delegation model.

How about this way to avoid a new keyword:

Options 1:
within(AnotherClass) {
       public String someVar;

       public String getSomeVar(){
               return someVar;
       }
}

Pros: May read naturally --> "within AnotherClass, declare the following" Cons: Will the use of within confuse developers with its usage in pointcut?

Options 2:
AnotheClass.{
       public String someVar;

       public String getSomeVar(){
               return someVar;
       }
}

Pros: Easy to explain the bulk ITD syntax compared to regular ITD
syntax-- dot and a member or dot and members.
Cons: Too subtle a use of "."?

-Ramnivas